Should I look for a lawyer even before my court date?

Rockville, MD |

I received a citation for metro fare evasion on thursday 07/25/13 in montgomery county maryland. I have yet to recieve a letter from the court announcing my date. I called today and they said my citation has not even been registered yet. Should i begin looking for a lawyer now? I can not have this on my record for future jobs and also I will not be here in the state after august 16th to leave for college again.

You can look for an attorney now or wait until you receive a court date. Make sure that someone will get your mail if it sent to the address on your ticket and advise you of the court date. You do not want to fail to appear because this could lead to a bench warrant.

There's no harm in being proactive in finding an attorney now.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

It's best for you to discuss you situation and already have taken care of your attorney.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

You should move quickly. Your attorney can probably check on-line and find out about your hearing date etc even before you get it it in the mail. In fact, you can do that yourself as well by checking at http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiry-index.jsp. As others have mentioned, make sure that someone picks up the mail for you at your address so that you are double sure that you know the court date.

If you have not been in trouble, there is a fair chance that you can avoid this having a long-term effect on your employment etc.

Feel free to give me a ring if you want a quick eval of your options etc.

Larry Holzman
301.876.4393

Yes. Especially if you plan on requesting a scheduling accommodation. Fare evasion will not look good on your record-- get an attorney ASAP.

Absolutely, it is better to be proactive.

Yes. A lawyer can advise you early on in the process what sort of outcomes may be possible and, depending on the case, can issue a subpoena for evidence that may be destroyed if not requested immediately. I'm not sure if that is the case with your ticket, but in general that is the case.

Yes. Your attorney can show you how to proactively minimize your risks and prepare you to obtain the best result. Some proactive opportunities will require you to budget your time so that you can both help your case and fulfill personal and educational obligations. Waiting for a court date will increase your stress level as you face this challenge unassisted and your time to prepare and be proactive shrinks. I wish you well.

This is not legal advice it is general information intended to guide you to speak directly with a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in Maryland.

Richard Stefan Lurye

Richard Stefan Lurye

Proactive Steps should include community service in order to persuade the State to decline to prosecute by entering what is called a "nolle prosequi" in your case. If this is granted, you may be eligible to apply for expungement on the day the nolle prosequi is entered, as long as you file a waiver stating that you will not sue anyone connected with your arrest and prosecution.

It's never too early to get a lawyer! I could look at the citation to make sure it's valid, and then be prepared once the court date does come. This is something I'd be happy to help with, and we should be able to get it dismissed for community service and then immediately expunged.

Nothing posted on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice. For actual legal advice, please call Mr. Cleckner at 301-789-1616 or email at jay@mdnotguilty.com. He will provide a FREE in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.