Should I let my 18 yr old go to trial with public defender on severe felony charges, armed burglary and grand theft

Jacksonville, FL |

they say they have his dna

1. Many public defenders are good criminal attorneys. Meet with the pd and discuss your child's case if your child gives permission. If you do not get a good feeling because pd is overworked as many are, you can hire a criminal attorney. This is a serious charge and he could go to jail for a long time.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

2. You should let your son go to trial with an attorney he is comfortable with. There are many good and bad public defenders, just like private attorneys. The best course of action is talk with some attorneys, have your son talk to them as well, and then reach a decision on who he feels most comfortable with to defend his interests in front of a jury.

3. Unfortunately, there's no magic formula to determine which lawyer is best in a particular situation. That was one of the reasons I became a lawyer myself - it was so difficult to determine who was good that I wanted to see for myself what the heck they were doing behind the scenes. Now, having become a lawyer, I realize that I still would have the very same problem if I needed to hire a lawyer for myself in an unfamiliar practice area. The only insight I have gained is from actually observing other lawyers in action over time - I know who's smart, works hard and fights hard.
    So, the other answers are correct - the PD can be a great lawyer or a poor lawyer, and private practice attorneys also span the range. I have written a legal guide that addresses this issue. Click on my profile and read it - hope it helps! What is for certain is that he needs a good lawyer. Good luck.

4. Unfortunately, there's no magic formula to determine which lawyer is best in a particular situation. That was one of the reasons I became a lawyer myself - it was so difficult to determine who was good that I wanted to see for myself what the heck they were doing behind the scenes. Now, having become a lawyer, I realize that I still would have the very same problem if I needed to hire a lawyer for myself in an unfamiliar practice area. The only insight I have gained is from actually observing other lawyers in action over time - I know who's smart, works hard and fights hard.