Skip to main content

Should I just file for uncontested divorce?

San Antonio, TX |

my husband and I have been married for 3 years and I am 24. He is national guard now from active duty. We have no children and no household(living with his mom). I am just very emotionally drained from the treatment he's had towards me: lying, his anger, caught him talking to women in ways you shouldn't(sexually/flirting) and talking like they are in a relationship, I do feel scared of him at times during arguments, the things he says and calls me, mind games, the feeling of him only caring about himself and not anybody else or if it will affect our marriage. I just feel very alone and don't have the strength to continue this marriage. I've dealt with everything hoping he would change but he has yet to and I don't think he plans on wanting to.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The situation you describe, unfortunately, is not uncommon, particularly when two people get married at a young age, as you two did. Have you or he (or the two of you together) thought about going to counseling? If that isn't an option or has proven futile, then divorce is an option. Since you do not have children or significant property together, your divorce could likely be completed in less time and for less money than if your situation were more complicated. Speaking with a family law attorney should help you shed some light on your best course of action.

I certainly wish you the best.

The foregoing comments do not establish an attorney-client relationship and only reflect the opinion of the author, who does not have the benefit of a full understanding of your specific circumstances; they do not constitute specific legal advice. If you have a legal issue, it is best to consult with a reputable attorney in your area.


Filing for divorce is an option. Whether it will be uncontested depends on your and your spouse. If you cannot come to an agreement and come up with a final decree of divorce that is representative of that agreement, then the divorce will not be uncontested. Call and consult with a lawyer. Many give free consultations.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


Get a consultation with a lawyer who offers that service for free. You will learn that even an uncontested divorce with no children and no property requires a bit of expertise and experience. However, it does not have to be expensive. You may be able to get a fixed fee for an uncontested divorce and some lawyers accept payments.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer