Should I include my Traffic Ticket (got Deferred Disposition, then dismissed) on government job application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I got a traffic ticket (failure to yield) in TX, was given Deferred Disposition and got the ticket dismissed after safety class and paying fines ($250). I got an Order of Dismissal form that states "Finding: Case Dismissed Discretionary DSC". I have not expunged this.
For a government job application (Questionnaire for Public Trust positions), it asks the question "In the last 7 years, have you been arrested for, CHARGED with, or CONVICTED of any crime(s)? (Leave out traffic fines of fees less than $150)".
Should I say YES? Technically (for deferred disp) I was not convicted but I still got the ticket (plead nolo -> deferred -> pay fine/course -> dismiss) and will it show on the govt background check? Also, b/c the fines were > $150 should I say YES even if the ticket was dismissed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tell the truth on any job application as the government is gong to run a background check that will expose any missteps on your part!!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Kelvin P. Green

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Technically you were charged. You were cited You paid a fine of $250

    Do not play semantic games with these forms. A charge of this nature, if it is the only thing you have, won't affect a suitability decision but misrepresentation in almost always a disqualifier.

    If it is deemed material intentional falsification you can be debarred from government service for up to three years. Even if it was expunged you have to list it... If you can't be honest on these firms you are not honest enough or have the character to hold a position of public trust with the US Government.

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-... more

Related Topics

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,780 answers this week

3,445 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,780 answers this week

3,445 attorneys answering