Skip to main content

Should I include my father's information in my bankruptcy case?

Columbia, SC |

I live with him but I receive family assistance and food stamps to take care of myself and my son. We do not share resources.

Attorney Answers 3


Have you consulted with a bankruptcy lawyer? I am adding this question to that category for you.

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111

Mark as helpful


You wrote, " Should I include my father's information in my bankruptcy case? I live with him but I receive family assistance and food stamps to take care of myself and my son. We do not share resources."

A: If your father contributes to common expenses, you will list that Information in the means test and on Schedule I, "Income" and Schedule I, "Income".

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Gary D. Bollinger

Gary D. Bollinger


Oops, Schedule I, "Income" and Schedule J. "Expenses.",


When filing bankruptcy, any source of income, or in-kind contribution to the filer, must be included. For example, if any household expenses are shared, those must be included. If a household occupant, or other person, regularly pays for gasoline, electrical, cable,etc . . .such must be properly noted and disclosed.

Some bankruptcy trustees may request, or like to see, an affidavit clearly stating, or explaining, any form of financial contribution, to the filer/debtor that is not wages, social security, unemployment, or documented form of income. Such can be filed with the case as a "pay advice." Ultimately, with bankruptcy, it is always best to over-disclose, if there is such a thing, instead of risking leaving out important and relevant information.

Notably, this is general information on this issue. Bankruptcy is very detail intensive and, so, it is always best to proceed with an attorney in order to adhere to all requirements and get the maximum benefit of filing.

I wish you well with resolving your issue.

NOTE: This information is provided for general legal information only and does not constitute advice. It does not address specific, personal issues as there is no direct contact with the questioner nor a review of any applicable documents. This response of general legal information does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly advised to consult with an attorney in-person. The Brown Law Office, LLC is a private law firm managed by Tina L. Brown, solo practitioner, and providing legal representation for consumer debtors under the United States Bankruptcy Code, some general consumer matters, defense of tenants in rental matters with a particular emphasis upon income based housing, and simple estate planning matters.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics