Should I hire an attorney over my past employments failure to pay me correct minimum wage and under the table?

Crawfordville, FL |

I worked at a local restaurant for about 6 months, but for about 4 1/2 months I was never on payroll. I always asked for the paperwork and their answer would always be that they would have it the next day. Server minimum wage is $4.23/hour but i was only given $4.00, so the other .23 cents an hour was going into his pocket. I worked about 20-40 hours every weekend and I think I deserve the money that I worked so hard for, and I also do not want to have to pay anything or be held liable for his mistakes.

1. I'd suggest contacting a lawyer who handles cases under the Fair Labor Standards Act to see if they think you have potential claims.

2. Contact the labor board or a labor attorney in your state. This is typically a violation of the law that they can help you with.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. As stated above, you would be best served by contacting a labor law attorney.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.