Should I hire an attorney for my first traffic ticket to help me dismiss points on that ticket?

Parker, CO |

I have got a traffic ticket in CO of speeding about 55 mph in 40 mph speed limit area. For this, officer gave me a 2 point ticket and $100 fine if I plead guilty or else if I dont plead guilty I will need to appear in court. This is my first ticket, I am concern about the points on the ticket and would like to dismiss those points getting appeared on my driving record, what should I do? Should I go to an attorney or plead guilty? Is it costly to get an attorney for this case?

Thank you for the quick reply, would like to clarify more, This citation when received the officer told me you can appear in court or to avoid that you can accept the Penalty Assessment which will get me 2 driving points on my record and $100 fine. The citation ticket mentions Municipal Court (Town of Parker Summons and Complaint). After this clarification what would you advice to check with attorney or go ahead with waiver of rights and plea of guilty?

There are many questions based on your post. Depending on who issued the citation (a municipal police officer or a Douglas County Sheriff), you are ordered to appear at some courthouse. All courthouses in the area handle these situation differently. In Douglas, for example, the offer will get worse if you take it to court (three points). In some municipal jurisdictions, however, you can take a driving class and avoid the points. Should you hire an attorney? Well, it's going to cost you more than $500 to do that and if you want a trial, it's only going up.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Great advice by Mr. Deasy. I would go and talk with the Deputy DA first to find out what the offer if in your case and whether it acceptable or not to you before going to hire an attorney.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Only you can decide if the cost of an attorney is worth it to attempt to get the charges reduced further. It will cost you more to fight the ticket as even an attorney who passed the bar yesterday will likely charge you a couple hundred dollars for representation. Those of us who handle these cases every single day and have the knowledge and experience that few others do will charge a lot more.

For most people, it is cost prohibitive to hire an attorney for minor traffic offenses, such as this. However, if you have a CDL or your employment requires a clean MVR, then it may be worth it to you. No matter what you decide to do, understand that by hiring an attorney it still does not guarantee that the charge will be reduced further or completely dismissed. CO is unlike a lot of other states that allow you to take a class or pay a higher fine to have the ticket "go away". The best advice is to spend some time speaking with one or two traffic attorneys in the Metro area and then decide if it makes sense for you to fight the ticket or to pay it and have it reduced to the 2 pt unsafe vehicle.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets