Should I hire an attorney? What is going to happen?

Asked about 1 year ago - Muncie, IN

My son is 18 with a learners permit. He was hit in the rear end in my van that had no insurance. It wasn't his fault the other driver openly admitted it at the scene to the police. He was issued a citation for no insurance. Then let us drive my van away from the scene. The BMV suspended his license for 90 days already. His court hearing is coming up. We don't know what is going to happen or if we should hire an attorney. The rear end of my van is badly messed up and didn't know if I could get it fixed by their insurance or not since it was her fault. I as the mother am disabled an don't know what to do. Thank You for your time.

1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

4

Answered . The fact that your vehicle was not insured has nothing to do with liability. The driver that rear-ended you IS responsible to repair your vehicle AND compensate you and your son for any personal injury. In most jurisdictions, the no insurance ticket will be withdrawn where you were NOT at fault AND you do show proof that you now have insurance. Call the local prosecutor's office (765) 747-7801 and confirm that the ticket will be dismissed. If not, hire a traffic attorney for your son. It is your fault that he is in trouble because you failed to maintain insurance on your vehicle.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . You would be foolish not to hire an attorney under the circumstances.

Pro

3

Answered . Have a personal injury lawyer handle his injuries, and have a local traffic court lawyer fight the citation

4. Brian Brenn

1

Answered . I would agree with the attorney that indicated you should hire an attorney to handle your son's personal injuries as well as an attorney to handle the traffic citation. I would be more than happy to discuss your personal injury matter with you. My telephone number is 317-608-5795.

5. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . hire an attorney