Should I hire an attorney, if so why? Got rear-ended.

hi, i got in an car accident in may. got rear-ended. not my fault. the other car's insurance Allstate took the liability and paid for my car damage of 5000 bucks. after getting evaluated by MD, i got the treatment for massage and acupuncutre till 8/30. i feel better. today the insurance adjuster from allstate called me and left me a message saying that "i want to discuss your claim, i owe you medical bills and pain and suffering. today i would like to make an offer for pain and suffering alone for $1500. please get back to me so we can discuss this". why is she making an offer today for pain and suffering alone? what about the medical bills? I'm sure she hasn't received all the bills from my doctors since my last treatment was 3 days ago. do you think $1500 is reasonable? if I settle the

Seattle, WA -

Jason Garrett Epstein

Jason Garrett Epstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - Seattle, WA

This is a common tactic used by Allstate and other insurance companies. You really should speak to an experienced personal injury attorney to go over the specific facts of your accident and treatment. In all likelihood you are entitled to significantly more than what Allstate is offering, plus if you hire an attorney they can't play the game that they are going to pay the medical bills themselves.

After speaking to a lawyer, it may turn out that you don't need one, but my guess is you are going to be better served by retaining counsel. Studies have shown that those who hire attorneys for their personal injury cases get significantly more in their pocket than those who don't.

Best of luck.

Robert Smead Hogan

Robert Smead Hogan

Personal Injury Lawyer - Lubbock, TX

Please see answer to the companion question you posted. Thanks.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

When dealing with Allstate Insurance Company I think it is advisable that you be represented by a personal injury attorney.

You may also find it helpful to review some of the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com, one of which deals with the many elements of damages to which you may be entitled. You are right, Allstate is not offering you compensation on each of your elements of damages.

Obtain counsel as soon as possible.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure that proper advice is received.

Related Advice