Should I hire a personal injury attorney? And who?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I was in an accident two months ago. The other driver admitted fault on the scene, a witness gave my insurance company a statement to this affect, and the other insurance company has accepted liability. I went to a chiropractor for 8 weeks (26 visits) for soft-tissue injuries in my neck and shoulder and the bill was roughly $5,000. I am still having issues with my shoulder. Is this case worth having a personal injury attorney for? Or should I just settle it on my own?

1. Christopher G. Cagle

13

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should never try to resolve the case with the insurance company yourself. They will not treat you fairly. I would be happy to discuss the case with you at no charge. We work on a contingency fee basis, so we will never get paid unless we reach a settlement that you are happy with. Shoot me an email to discuss: ccagle@caglefirm.com

2. Daniel David Horowitz III

15

1

Answered . You can try on your own but expect the insurance company to offer you about $4,000.00. In Austin there are several very good attorneys. I would recommend Henry Moore or Len Gabbay for automobile cases.

3. Paul Hilmon Cannon

14

1

Answered . Whether you hire a lawyer or try to do it on your own is a choice you must make for yourself. If you ask a lawyer what you should do, of course we are going to recommend you hire a lawyer. We have all seen too many cases where a client tried to handle a case on their own first and screwed it up. They got tricked into giving a recorded statement and saying things that will be used against them or they got the run around after being promised 'just get the care you need and submit the bills and we'll take care of it." We've all seen these cases where by the time the client wised up and called us, irreparable damage was already done.

Are there some cases that the injured victim gets lucky and works out a decent settlement on their own? Sure. But i see a lot more of the other.

4. Antonios Kalogerakos

14

1

Answered . You're still having shoulder issues....get an attorney ASAP! Once you execute a Release, you can no longer get additional treatment or pain and suffering. Focus on your health rather than attempting to settle!

5. Daryl L. Derryberry

Pro

12

1

Answered . Yes you should hire an attorney immediately. Please consider retaining an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Less than 3% of all attorneys licensed in Texas are board certified. As others have advised you, do not attempt to negotiate with the insurance company on your own. All the insurance company cares about is paying you as little as possible to resolve your claim. It only care about saving money... not being fair to you. Good luck. www.urhurt.com

6. Michael R Crosner

13

1

Answered . DO not try to handle this yourself - you will only recover a fraction of the value without the assistance of a good local personal injury attorney. They are trained to know the value & if not obtained by settlement will know how to file suit. Insurance adjusters are not there to help you, the work to save their company as much as possible. I know, I used to train adjusters.

7. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

11

1

Answered . Unfortunately, these are the exact types of cases that require a personal injury lawyer. Most insurance companies will tell you they will not pay for your chiro treatments. What if anything they might offer is your ER bills. If you want to receive fair compensation you are going to need a lawyer that is willing to go to trial for you. That being said, if you have any questions or simply want to know your rights - please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck to you.

Pro

12

Answered . Yes. You may retain one of the distinguished attorneys in your state above.

9. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Consider using AVVO find a lawyer tab.