Should I hire a divorce lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lewisville, TX

I am trying to file for divorce from my husband. We have been married for 9 months. The only thing we share is the rent on the apartment. The only thing that has my name on it with him. He is living there and I am with my parents. I am trying to get my name off the lease before I file so there is nothing in my name. Is that the smartest thing to do? I don't want anything from him and vise versa. I just want a clean divorce with what's his is his, and mine is mine. I don't live there so should I be paying for half of everything? I am really confused about everything. We have no children either so I know that makes things easier.

1. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . Go talk to a local divorce attorney and get ALL your questions answered. You should not be paying 1/2 the bills at the apartment you left. Of course if you can get your name off the lease do so.

2. Mark Anthony Cohan

Pro

Answered . Generally, when you file for a divorce, the parties have to pay for their own things. If you have two different places to live, you don't pay for his apartment. Absent a situation where you are ordered temporary spousal support, if both parties can support themselves, they pay for their own expenses. And until you get a court order saying you owe temporary spousal support, you don't owe anything.

I'd still sit down with a local attorney to discuss your options (or at least review the paperwork).

3. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . Talk to a local attorney and take his or her advice.