Should I hire a divorce lawyer?

Lewisville, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

I am trying to file for divorce from my husband. We have been married for 9 months. The only thing we share is the rent on the apartment. The only thing that has my name on it with him. He is living there and I am with my parents. I am trying to get my name off the lease before I file so there is nothing in my name. Is that the smartest thing to do? I don't want anything from him and vise versa. I just want a clean divorce with what's his is his, and mine is mine. I don't live there so should I be paying for half of everything? I am really confused about everything. We have no children either so I know that makes things easier.

Go talk to a local divorce attorney and get ALL your questions answered. You should not be paying 1/2 the bills at the apartment you left. Of course if you can get your name off the lease do so.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Generally, when you file for a divorce, the parties have to pay for their own things. If you have two different places to live, you don't pay for his apartment. Absent a situation where you are ordered temporary spousal support, if both parties can support themselves, they pay for their own expenses. And until you get a court order saying you owe temporary spousal support, you don't owe anything.

I'd still sit down with a local attorney to discuss your options (or at least review the paperwork).

Talk to a local attorney and take his or her advice.

Recommended articles about Divorce