Skip to main content

Should I hire a attorney for Criminal conversion/misdemeanor A,if this is my first and last bed decision in my life .

Fishers, IN |

I am waiting for court ,what should I do,what to expect ,plus I am permanent resident and live in USA for over 10 years never did anything dishonest. This is not who I am,I am not criminal

so public defender is out of question?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You absolutely need to hire an attorney as there could be immigration consequences based on this being a crime of moral turpitude. Find a qualified and experienced criminal attorney to help you through it.

  2. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. If you cannot afford one, apply for a public defender at the next court date. This appears to be a crime of moral turpitude that can have serious consequences on your legal status here. You need an immigration lawyer also to advise you ASAP.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  3. You should contact an Immigration attorney BEFORE you do anything. If they give the go-ahead, you absolutely qualify for the Prosecutor's Pre-trial Diversion Program. This would prevent you from having a criminal record and you would not need a criminal defense attorney but DO NOTHING until you consult an immigration attorney ASAP.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

  4. I agree with everyone's answer so far. You need a qualified and experienced criminal attorney who also understands immigration law. I would also recommend contacting an immigration attorney. Especially if you desire to maintain your residency status or hope to apply for citizenship. Even a small crime of this nature could have serious implications on your current and future status.

  5. YES. You need a lawyer who knows immigration law in addition to criminal defense or you need one of each. Your case can affect your status, future travel and re-entry and citizenship in the future if you pursue that.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics