Should i have an attorney fight this case? Is there a case to be fought?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

Hi my name is Jane i have a niece who has been on probation for 4 years since she was 13. The reason she was put on probation was she had a dine and dash case and she has a petty theft record. She was placed on probation and no one had contacted her for about a year and a half. Her case had been transfered about 3 times until a probation officer wanted to meet with her. She recently got caught at school with a grinder, and her principal called her p.o. Since then Ms.Lee has been testing her urine, and it continues to be dirty. She has not got into any contact with police. Her probation never requested that she got pee tested until that incident. She has finished highschool with a diploma and has 2 jobs. She is ready to start college and she wants to know if she goes to a college in a diff

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robin Mashal

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

    So long as your niece is on probation, it would not be advisable for her to leave the jurisdiction. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

  2. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether to fight this case is Jane's choice not yours. If she wants to fight it yes she will need an attorney.

  3. Adam Garrard Gasner

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hi Jane,

    It is difficult to answer your question without further details. Who was your niece's lawyer back when she was placed on probation? Is your niece 18 yet? Does she have a future court date at the Youth Guidance Center? Feel free to contact me at 415-782-6000 or e-mail me at if you want to discuss this matter further.

    Adam G. Gasner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,227 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,227 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering