Should i have a lawyer present during a lie detector test?

Asked over 4 years ago - Rochester, NY

Cps was called saying I had sex with my 9 yr old son. He was questioned twice alone once with his mom. His mom was questioned twice and me once. He said he never said anything like that they even made him cry. He had a physical exam that proved nothing happened. Now they want me to take a lie detector test next week because the officer isn't happy with the results. I hear they are not accurate and am deeply afraid of losing my family over this horrendous allegation. What are my legal options how do I prove my innocence and start to rebuild my family? He will not stop till he gets what he wants.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . CPS investigations are different from any other, and CPS investigators neither use the same rules of evidence or the way they handle their cases as police officers. You should immediately contact a family lawyer in your area to represent you in further dealings with CPS.

  2. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP. You have no obligation to make any statements whatsoever. "Lie detectors" are notoriously inaccurate and inadmissible in many states. Do not speak to anyone about this other than a defense attorney.

    This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,008 answers this week

3,312 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,008 answers this week

3,312 attorneys answering