Should I go to traffic school after my first traffic citation, or fight the ticket in court?

Asked 7 months ago - Tucson, AZ

Today, as I was heading eastbound on Broadway, I saw an officer on a motorcycle on the other side of Broadway(on the side of westbound traffic). As i saw him I quickly looked at my speedometer and started dropping my speed, but apparently it was too late and he had clocked me in at 42 mph, in a 30 mph zone. I was sort of zoned out and didn't pay attention to what speed I was going, and I knew I was over the speed limit as soon as I looked at my speedometer. This is my first ticket, and I have the option of going to traffic school, after which I would have no points on my drivers record. Would that be the wise thing to do rather than fighting the ticket, on the bases that he was on the other side of the street and his radar couldn't have clocked my car accurately due to westbound traffic ?

I didn't see the speed limit sign until several yards ahead of the location where he pulled me over, the increment between that speed limit sign and the one before was about a mile. On the ticket that was given in the field "Laser/radar #" there is no number it's just blank so does that mean he didn't put the number of his radar gun on purpose/forgot or didn't use a radar gun at all and just said he clocked me in at 42?

1. Steven W Zachary

2

1

Answered . You have a right to your day in court on any charge. Weigh the time, the costs of the possible outcomes and determine if it is worth the fight.

2. Paul D Friedman

1

Answered . If you go to school, the points will be removed and your insurance will not increase. If you go to Court and lose, you will have the points and your insurance may go up. The posted speed limit is an inference as to a "reasonable speed" but you can be going 5 miles over and still be ticketed if the officer testifies that is an unreasonable speed. Your best bet may be to take the school option.

3. Robert Francis Gruler Jr.

1

Answered . Being a Tucson resident you may want to consider an attorney. Tucson has many problematic red light photo radar cameras that contain substantially harsher penalties. You may want to save your defensive driving school for another more serious mishap.

4. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

2

1

Answered . Traffic school is a sure thing as far as keeping off the points. If you do wish to fight it hire a good traffic lawyer. Traffic tickets can be tough to beat.

5. Paul E Knost

Answered . If you "fight it out in court" you will lose unless you can prove to the judge that you were not speeding. You should consider the traffic school option.