Should I go to the doctor after a car accident even if I don't feel hurt?

Seattle, WA |

It happened 2 days ago and I have no pains.

1. Lucky you! All my clients would rather not have been hurt and have to file a claim. It is far better to have no injury and be able to live your life as before.

That said, it is still pretty recent. I would wait a few more days to be sure that nothing is injured before making that assertion to anyone, particularly the insurance company of the person that hit you.

If there is no injury - then there are no damages to sustain a personal injury claim. However, like I said above, it is always better to not be hurt because there is no money that can get you back what you lost.

2. No. If you have any aches or pains that you feel need medical attention, you should go. If you are 100% fine with no aches or pains, you do not need to go.

3. It is always a good idea to see your doctor after a car accident. The worst that can happen is that both you and your doctor agree that there is nothing to be concerned about. However, your accident happened only 2 days ago, so keep track of how you are feeling in the days and weeks ahead. Your body could experience a slow onset of symptoms.

4. Hello,

It is not a bad idea to go and get checked out, but if you are in absolutely no pain, then it is not necessary. However, have you resumed normal activities since the crash? Are you taking over the counter meds for pain? Are you at 100% or just" ok," with a few minor aches and pains? Keep in mind, it could take several days for soft-tissue type injuries to appear due to the inflammatory process. When and if you go see a doctor, be sure that you and the provider document the reasons for the delay in seeking initial care, as it will be an issue with the insurance company if you decide to pursue a claim.

Sincerely,

Arthur D. Leritz

Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Leritz is licensed to practice law in the State of Washington. The response herein does not constitute legal advice nor does it seek to establish an attorney/client relationship, but rather offers educational insight only. Please feel free to visit Mr. Leritz's website for additional information: www.adlergiersch.com

5. It is always a good idea to get checked out after a car crash, even though you are not currently hurting. Who knows what my happen over the next several days. Also, by going to the doctor you have now documented your crash and how you feel. Make sure to tell your doctor everything that hurts/aches, etc.. You know your body the best, so do not leave anything out.

I have had many clients who just talk about what hurts them the most, while leaving out the minor aches/pains. It usually turns out that the minor aches/pains turn out to be more severe once the major pain has been addressed. Without all these initial complaints being documented, it gives the insurance company a reason to try to deny the injuries because of the “gap in treatment”.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

6. Without a medical need, I would not ask you to visit a doctor. Sometimes folks involved in car collisions walk away without a potential claim -- you may be one of the "lucky ones."

Know this, however, if symptoms develop later, any insurance carrier will question any connection tot ehc ollision. For this reason, you may want to go and get checked out.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

7. Only go to the doctor if you start to experience symptoms. (Americans consume over 50 percent of the world's medical resources.)

If you want to discuss please email me at mmyers@myers-company.com or call on my mobile: (206) 714-1421. Thanks.

8. If you are completely fine then there is likely no need to go to the doctor. If pain starts to develop, then you should go to the doctor ASAP. If you get treated now with no pain and you do not get any diagnosis related to the accident, that may work against you if you develop pain later and return to the doctor. Again, if you are experiencing even the slightest measure of pain, go to the doctor. Not a chiropractor or acupuncturist, but a doctor.

With that being said, I hope no pain develops! Good luck.

The opinions stated herein do not constitute legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is different, and in order to get proper advice on any legal issue, you should contact an attorney directly. The statements above are not intended to induce any act or omission and are not intended to serve as any basis for any act or omission.

9. If you have no reason to believe you suffered any injuries there is no reason you should see a doctor. While sometimes injuries manifest themselves a day or so after the event, there is minimal likelihood you were actually hurt if you haven't noticed anything by now.

10. It is always a good idea to have your doctor examine you after an accident.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

11. Certainly a judgment call. I take it you are not asking for medical advice? You are asking with respect to a potential claim you may bring against the other driver. Obviously if you were not hurt there is no claim for "injury" to bring. If you went to the doctor today apparently you would have no symptoms to relate other than to say you were in an auto wreck. While the doctor will do some kind of exam--have you turn your neck, bend, etc. it does not seem likely anything will be found. Again, I'm not a doctor. So to check on your health, that decision is yours. For purposes of bringing a claim, an exam with no findings won't help any.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

12. Why would you? It's only necessary to seek medical attention if you need it. No need to waste resources and time if you don't.

13. That would be prudent

14. You have received various replies from my colleagues. I would suggest thinking about the accident and how severe was the impact. If the impact was fairly severe, you might want to consider going for a quick checkup. If the impact was not severe and there was not much damage to your vehicle, you might want to hold off until your pain increases. It is all up to you to decide. Do remember though, as some of my colleagues have pointed out, insurance companies expect a person that is injured to treat fairly soon after an accident.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

15. It is always a good idea to seek an evaluation. There may be latent issues caused by the accident.

Jonathan Yousling is licensed to practice law in the State of Washington and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.