Should I go to small claims court over auto accident?

Asked 7 months ago - Omaha, NE

I was in an auto accident and I turned left on a green left turning arrow while a car from the opposite direction took a right turn on red. We were turning on a two lane street and the other vehicle took a too wide/too fast turn and hit by back passenger door with the front of their car. We both filed claims and my insurance company put them at 100% fault while they denied liability. Since I do not have collision, I would personally have to take them to small claims myself. However, there was no witnesses (except the passenger of my vehicle). Also, they refused to talk to my insurance company and told them that I merged into their lane (over 100 feet AFTER the intersection ) even though the official investigator report clearly shows it happened right after the turn. Should I sue?

Additional information

Also... If I can sue in small claims court. What type of evidence should I be expected to bring? I already ordered an investigator's report, the written documents from my insurance company, photos of my damaged vehicle, and estimates of my damaged vehicle along with the witness (which was the other passenger of my car).

I'D ALSO LIKE TO MENTION... The accident involved my passenger and I (vehicle 1) and a lady (vehicle 2). However, their insurance company got their side of the accident from the lady's (vehicle 2) HUSBAND and not the wife. The husband was NOT in the accident at all. Is this a valid point to bring up in the court case, as well?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. S. David Rosenthal Esquire


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You have nothing to lose by suing them in small claims court. Here is some information about small claims court in Nebraska: . You will notice that the most you can get is $3,500, so if your damages are substantially higher, you may want to at least speak with an attorney. Otherwise, the rules of evidence in small claims are relaxed, and you should be able to bring in the police report, the damage photos, estimates, and your passenger to testify. If they provide only the husband's testimony at the hearing, that will not look good at all and I think the judge would rule in your favor. Keep in mind that attorney's cannot participate in small claims court.

    Good luck.

  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the damage was minor

  3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's a business decision. Your time and expense v. the damage to your vehicle. On these facts you have a likely shared scenario; the percentage to be decided by the judge.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now