Should I go to court or pay the fine for a speeding ticket in NC?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Denton, NC

I recently received a speeding ticket in Denton, NC (Davidson County). I was pulled over by a Denton Policeman, and he wrote the ticket for NINE miles over the speed limit (which was 55mph). He said I wouldn't have problems with insurance because it was under 10mph. He also said I did not have to appear in court. I have a NYS driver's license, but I need to declare residency in NC within the next 30 days. I do not want points on my initial NC license, so what is the best thing to do at this point? My ticket cost is $136, and I'd like it if I did not have to pay any more than that if possible. Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!!!

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . It would be worth your while to consult with a traffic attorney familiar with the judges and practices in the court where you received the ticket to explore your options. An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Jason Y. Chan

Answered . It seems like the ticket is something you don't want to pay because it will effect your insurance. Under that scenario perhaps you want to consider appealing the ticket and see what happens. Ultimately it is going to up to the judge. If the ticket really matters that much to you, you may want to consider hiring an attorney.

Attorney Jason Chan
    77 Franklin Street, FL3
    Boston, MA 02110
    617-556-8220
    website: www.attorneychan.com
    blog: http://attorneychan.wordpress.com/
    twitter: http://twitter.com/AttorneyChan

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.