Should I go to court or accept mediation for an employment discrimination complaint?

Asked over 1 year ago - Nantucket, MA

I am a permanent resident of the United States pending full citizenship. I went to work for brief temporary employment a company. When a full-time permanent position opened during this time I was told that the manager was thinking of another individual to fill the job. I went back to my regular job. They hired two white people to fill the job. The company then asked me to work two more times temporarily before asking me to come work for them. They did not say as a permanent position and when I agreed they kept me as a seasonal employee without holiday or vacation or benefit package that permanent employees receive. After filing a complaint they have given me a permanent position and offered me a small settlement. I refused the settlement and the company has now requested mediation.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Judith A Miller

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer to represent you in this matter. A good employment lawyer will be able to evaluate how much you would get if you went to court and whether the settlement is enough to make it worth your while to not go to court. Also, a lawyer may be able to get you more than you could get on your own. Please call me if you would like to discuss your case.

  2. Michael A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Based upon the facts you have provided, there is not enough information to form a solid analysis of your claim. You should consult with an experienced employment discrimination lawyer in Massachusetts who is familiar with MCAD proceedings and can advise you as the likely success of your case should you either not attend the mediation, or not accept a settlement at that stage. Additionally, it is not clear from your facts if the case is still at the MCAD, EEOC or in state or federal court. The venue that you chose can have a great impact on your case and you need to speak to a lawyer who understands this.

  3. Pamela Anne Smith

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless the company had you sign an agreement to arbitrate or mediate any employment claim, you are not required to mediate anything, or settle for less than you believe is the correct value of the case. You do not say where you filed a complaint. The Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) has a mediation/conciliation option which occurs before full litigation begins. I assume the employer made the offer as part of this process. You should ask an employment lawyer to review your complaint and analyze the existing offer. You do not want to sign away all your rights without making a fully informed decision. As the saying goes: Don't leave money on the table.

    This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  4. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Speak to lawyer.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,080 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,080 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering