Should I go for Cancellation of Removal?

I am thinking of getting applying for cancellation of removal. I am not in removal proceeding so I don't know if I should, but at same time I need to get my status adjusted. Came to USA 14 years ago on Advance Parole. It was expired 13 years ago. I have been in USA for 14 years continuously. I have three Citizen kids, age 14, 12, 9 and Three DACA applicants age 24, 22, and 18. I have paid taxes for 14 years, and have had a same job for 14 years. No criminal record. I have a wife who is undocumented and same exact same scenario. I am afraid that if I get rejected, she will also. Is there a way we can file separately? Also since I meet the requirements, should I take the risk? I will apply after my DACA applicants kids are granted deferred action so I don't put their lives in risk.

Atlanta, GA -

Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

Immigration Attorney - Suwanee, GA

You cannot affirmatively apply for cancellation of removal. You would have to be in removal proceedings and present your case before an Immigration Judge. Given the facts you laid out my answer is an unequivocal "no". If you are not currently in proceedings it's simply a risk you absolutely should not take.

Theodore John Murphy

Theodore John Murphy

Immigration Attorney - West Chester, PA

You cannot apply for cancellation of removal unless you are in removal proceedings. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Robert West

Robert West

Immigration Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

To place yourself in removal proceedings is a very serious situation. However, your window of opportunity is not unlimted. As a family, you should discuss with a very competent immigration lawyer and make that decision.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Mr. Murphy is correct, you can't 'ask' to file for cancellation.

Mr. West is also correct ... getting yourself put into removal proceedings is the LAST thing you should think about. Wait 7 years and have your 14 year old sponsor you.

Related Advice