Should I go down to the precinct for questioning?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Two special victim unit detectives came to my apartment today and told my mother and i that we had an allegation against us . They refused to tell me what the allegation was . They told us that we had to go to them for questioning . Do I have to go even though I know that i haven't done anything wrong ? Do I have the right to refuse ? Or will I get in trouble . My mother isn't in the greatest condition for this and I'd like to know what we can do to fix this right away . Thank You .

1. Hector Benjamin Perez

Pro

4

1

Answered . When the police call or go looking for you for "questioning", you should never go without a lawyer. Seek the advice of a criminal defense lawyer right away. Let your lawyer look into the matter for you and advise you on what the best course of action is. Subjecting yourself to questioning on your own is a terrible mistake, whether or not you think you have done anything wrong.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

1

Answered . You do not have to go and should not without an attorney. Often, the police need a statement from a suspect to make a case so you going down and answering questions may help them more than it helps you.
    If you go for any reason, make no statement no matter what they promise.
    Good Luck!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Marco Caviglia

3

1

Answered . When the police say and do what you have stated, no good can come from your complying. You should make certain you have an attorney telephone the police and "enter as counsel" and prohibit any questioning and that if they want to arrest you, that that can be coordinated to avoid inconvenience to you and the police and that you would voluntarily surrender.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

1

Answered . Retain a criminal lawyer first. Speaking at the police station is normally just a reason to arrest you. You do have the right to remain silent. Use your right and keep quiet until you have a lawyer reoresenting you.

5. John J. Carney

Pro

Answered . Only unsophisticated people trust the police, talk to them without a lawyer, or go down to the poilce station. You should never open the door for the police, give them consent to search, agree to answer any questions, or think that you are "innocent." You may be guilty of being an accomplice or to some crime that you were not even aware of. retain a lawyer and have him talk to the police, surrender you if necessary, and offer any explanations or information that might be helpful to you. Please choose best answer if this helps you.