Should I give a 3-day "pay or quit" notice or do something else?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fullerton, CA

I allowed a "friend" to sub-let a room from me. (with LL permission) I wrote up a 30 day lease, with a renewal every 30 days unless either of us gives the other a 30 day notice. After finding evidence that he was essentially stealing from me, I gave a 30 day notice that I would not be renewing the lease and asked him to leave in 30 days. His rent is due on the last day of the month. I gave him this notice on the 1st of the month. He had not paid his rent and has stated he does not plan to. He also stated he was going to "take me to court" and "bring hell into my life". So, should I give him a 3 day pay or quit or just ride out the first notice? Also, is there anything else I should do/look out for?
Also, he was unemployed when I rented him the room (for 1/6th the true value) and still is.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he has not paid the rent, then he is in violation of the terms of the lease and you can give him a three day notice. If he does not pay, then you can move to evict him. That is at least a quicker process.

    If he was stealing from you, you might want to report it to the police. His being arrested would be an even quicker way of getting him out.

  2. Scott Richard Kaufman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Edwin Arnold Anderson

Can I Break My Lease Early?

This question comes up on Avvo a lot. I'm writing this guide for reference so that you might be able to find it. Remember, every situation is different. Don't merely rely on this guide--... more

Notice to vacate property

A notice to vacate is a written notice from a landlord telling a tenant to move by a certain date. Often you'll have 30 days to leave, but state laws vary.

Caspar S. Jivalagian


A step-by-step approach to handling California Unlawful Detainer Actions NOTICE 3-Day-Notice to Cure or Quit: This notice is usually used when a tenant has failed to tender or if there is a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,495 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,495 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering