Should I get my temporary consent order finalized?

Calhoun, GA |
Filed under: Family law

All I need to know is if I could use a temporary consent order for custody and child support (paid to me) in court if I brought up a case or if a case is brought against me.

1. A temporary order means whatever it says can be changed. Discuss this with your lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. Not sure I understand your question. But a temporary order does not mean that the results will be the same at a final hearing. You need an attorney to represent you now! Not tomorrow but right now!

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616

3. While many Judges take notice of temporary orders, they are not required to make them final orders of the Court in a contested case. I have had custody and support switched and changed at a final hearing. Of course, if the parties like the temporary custody and support arrangment, the parties can usually have those terms incorporated into a Final Consent Order.

4. Whether you can use the temporary order in a case brought by or against you depends on the contents of the order, the nature of the case, and the status of the case that issued the temporary order.

I recognize that this was your attempt to reword your question so as to get an actual answer. Unfortunately, it just is not possible to give you an actual answer without much more information. And of course, it makes perfect sense that you would not want to put that amount of information on a public website. You really are going to have to actually call an attorney for guidance, even if you're not yet ready to hire one for assistance.

I hope this information helps give direction on how you can answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.