Should I get another lawyers opinion?

Asked about 1 year ago - Coventry, RI

My lawyer has told me he used to work for the defendants side, and now I feel he still is. He has changed our appointment twice now. 1st, he had a court date he forgot and could not get out of, that I can understand could happen. 2nd, now he tells me he has to cancel because his secretary did not do her job before she left the firm he has to put everything together. This is why I am starting to feel that he is helping the other side. There also has been quite a few times he has not returned my calls, and then tells me he did not get the voice mail. Should I get another lawyers opinion?

1. Donald Arthur Woodbine

8

Answered . Did he work for the defendant himself or was he an attorney who worked with the defendant's lawyer at some point? A lot of attorneys who work for plaintiffs started out working for defendants, so they may know a lot of attorneys on the other side. That doesn't necessarily mean he's helping the other side, but if you suspect this or you feel he isn't as attentive to your case as you need him to be, of course, you should feel free to get a second opinion. Best of luck to you.

2. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

8

Answered . If you're not comfortable with your attorney you should consider consulting another before its too late.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

8

Answered . Understand two things: One, if you are not comfortable with your lawyer, you should tell him so and you should consult with another lawyer.
    Two, your lawyer is getting paid a portion of your recovery. There would be no incentive for him to "work for the other side" and get you (and him) less money.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

8

Answered . I doubt the problem is that he is favoring the other side. It sounds like he is overextended or disorganized. If you are not comfortable consult with another attorney.

5. Michael R Crosner

8

Answered . I seriously doubt that your attorney is working for the other side - there is absolutely no reason or incentive for that to be the case - attorney is probably just very busy etc etc. I suggest you once again attempt a meeting (inform your attorney this is your final attempt) You have a right to expect proper communication & consultations from an attorney - that is their obligation & what you are paying for. Good luck

6. Cara L. Gallucci

5

1

Answered . I think this is more a sign of a disorganized attorney or law firm, rather than a lawyer who is working for the other side. I would suggest getting another opinion and asking the new lawyer what his or her office practice is, for example, how often do they communicate with the client, is there a schedule for communication, what are the office procedures for keeping in contact with clients. Our firm has set procedures so that we do not forget court dates, or appointments. The files are organized in a particular fashion so that we do not miss reports or documents that are important.

Pro

7

Answered . That is up to you, but the fact that he worked as an insurance defense lawyer wouldn't make a difference.

8. Tatiana Kadetskaya

7

Answered . You can switch lawyers at any time. Sounds like you need a good insurance lawyer.

9. Neville Joseph Bedford

5

Answered . It seems like you have seven or eight.

10. Paul A d'Oliveira

Pro

5

Answered . The fact that your lawyer worked for the other side is not the issue here but it sounds like he is either too busy to meet your needs or doesn't feel your case is very important to him. You should consider switching attorneys as most lawyers will take on your case and pay your first lawyer from the contingency fee collected, so it will not cost you any more to switch to a new lawyer.

11. Lawrence J. Signore

Pro

2

Answered . Your issue is not the lawyer had worked for insurance companies in the past. In some instances, working for a defense firm will give a lawyer perspective that a plaintiff only attorney will not. What sounds like your issue is that your attorney is not communicating with you. I would attempt to have a meeting with your attorney. If that does not happen in a reasonable amount of time, fee free to contact another attorney. My office telephone number is (401) 273-3000