Should I get an attorney or just pay?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

My wife (at the time) drove a vehicle I owned without permission or a valid drivers license or insurance. She was apparently involved in a hit and run. They could not prove it was her, so nothing happened to her. The insurance company of the vehicle she apparently hit is after me for damages. They say I owe $4088.81. Should I get an attorney or just make payments?

They are after me personally. At the time of the incident the vehicle my wife drove was not insured.

1. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

7

Answered . It is really difficult to say based on the fact pattern laid out in your post. I would generally recommend retaining an attorney so that you limit your exposure to other potential damages. Good luck.

2. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

7

Answered . Bad situation.
    Consult with a lawyer to be sure this is settled once and for all.
    I am assuming there are no pending criminal charges.

3. Fadi Chakour

6

Answered . It is not clear from your question whether they are after you personally or after your insurance company. If they were after your insurance company, then you insurance company will hire a defense lawyer to defend you. Need more facts.

4. Jeffrey Robert Davis

6

Answered . The short answer is yes. Permissive use litigation can get pretty complicated and you need to know the law in this area to see if your facts fit to free you from financial responsibility

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

6

Answered . I would get a lawyer to represent you and your spouse. Your lawyer will advise you whether to negotiate or pay, or find another alternative. Best of luck.

6. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

Answered . It is extremely difficult to show that a spouse did not have the right to drive your vehicle. Although hiring an attorney is your best option, negotiating settlement on your own may be possible.

7. Jason M. Melton

Pro

1

Answered . At least go speak with an attorney to discuss all of your options, including negotiating off their demand. There are plenty to chose from in Tampa who take on defense work.