Skip to main content

Should I get an attorney or just pay?

Tampa, FL |

My wife (at the time) drove a vehicle I owned without permission or a valid drivers license or insurance. She was apparently involved in a hit and run. They could not prove it was her, so nothing happened to her. The insurance company of the vehicle she apparently hit is after me for damages. They say I owe $4088.81. Should I get an attorney or just make payments?

They are after me personally. At the time of the incident the vehicle my wife drove was not insured.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


It is really difficult to say based on the fact pattern laid out in your post. I would generally recommend retaining an attorney so that you limit your exposure to other potential damages. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions


It is not clear from your question whether they are after you personally or after your insurance company. If they were after your insurance company, then you insurance company will hire a defense lawyer to defend you. Need more facts.


Bad situation.
Consult with a lawyer to be sure this is settled once and for all.
I am assuming there are no pending criminal charges.


The short answer is yes. Permissive use litigation can get pretty complicated and you need to know the law in this area to see if your facts fit to free you from financial responsibility


I would get a lawyer to represent you and your spouse. Your lawyer will advise you whether to negotiate or pay, or find another alternative. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


It is extremely difficult to show that a spouse did not have the right to drive your vehicle. Although hiring an attorney is your best option, negotiating settlement on your own may be possible.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


At least go speak with an attorney to discuss all of your options, including negotiating off their demand. There are plenty to chose from in Tampa who take on defense work.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer