Should i get an attorney for my daughter who wants to become a singer? Would that help her get in the music industry?

Chicago, IL |

If so what kind of things should i look for when looking for an attorney. And what questions should i ask. she is 16 , african american, smart , and loves to sing please if you can help me please and thank you

Music lawyers are specialized entertainment lawyers, and within the world of music lawyers, many attorneys have further specialized in dealing with a certain part of the industry. Understanding what you need legal help with will make it easier for you to find a lawyer who is up to the task. Knowing whether you are looking to build a long term relationship with a lawyer will also impact the process.

Without knowing at what point your daughter is in her music career, it is difficult to give you guidance. Entertainment attorneys can get her foot in certain doors, but she needs to bring something more to the table than desire. Has she been performing, drawing crowds, getting lots of traffic on You Tube, etc.? Perhaps she is already at that stage, and this is not meant to be condescending in any way, but perhaps starting with some good books and Internet research on the music business would be a great starting point.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

I agree with the other answers that much is dependant on where she is in her career. I don't know that an entertainment attorney will necessarily give her more exposure or a better chance of "making it," however, I would highly suggest having an attorney look over ANY and ALL contracts before signing ANYTHING.

I had an up-and-coming client who nearly gave away all rights in all his music to enter a contest with a nominal prize. The fine print can be a dangerous thing, so make sure you have an expert look that over each and every time.

If she does not already have one helping her, it would be wise for you to try to persuade a "talent agent" [instead of an attorney] to assist you and your daughter in her singing career. Visit the link below to track one down. Good luck.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

When looking for an entertainment attorney, you should look for one who:

1. Has experience working for a major entertainment company or law firm;
2. Practice areas focused on entertainment (as opposed to doing "on the side";
3. Resources to help with other aspects of her career;
4. Understands the industry and is passionate about supporting clients.

First get a talent agent who will propose a representation contract for your daughter. There are two agencies the ATA (west coast, LA) and the NATR (east coast, NY), the ATA being much larger. The best talent agencies belong to both. You are in Chicago, half way between the two. I would suggest you opt for the ATA to find your agent. Then of course there is the Am. Idol, Voice and X-Factor talent hunts to consider.

Second, once the agent proposes a contract take it to an entertainment attorney, and specifically a music attorney to review. That helps keep the talent agency honest with your daughter, and since she is a minor, that means with you. Also, a good entertainment lawyer will have an opinion as to whether you have chosen the agent well or not and, if not, may have other suggestions.

That is how Taylor Swift went about it at age 13. Now 22, she has done pretty well for herself.

I suppose your daughter is in a different genre, so check out the talent agents for who they rep and you will find the one that fits the image she wants to emulate. For example if she want to be the next Nikki Minage that is different than Beyonce Knowles or Jennifer Lopez.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

typo, line 2, "there are two TALENT agency ASSOCIATIONS, the "

Entertainment law topics