Skip to main content

Should i get an attorney for a dwi charge?

Tupper Lake, NY |

I recently got a dwi, but I was at my house. I had 4 beers between 5-8 pm, drove approx. 20 miles, then got sucked into some snow and went off the road. I got a ride home. Later on a nys trooper and local officer showed up at my house, and proceeded to give me a sobriety test and breathalizer test in which i failed both. Then, took me to nys barracks and gave me my tickets.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Yes I agree, you need an attorney and may be able to get the charges dismissed depending on the amount of time elapsed and what their proof of operation of the vehicle is. Do they have a civilian witness or is the trooper claiming he saw you operating the vehicle. The trooper is probably relying on incriminating statements you made to prove their case which is not enough legal evidence to convict you even if the statements are not suppressed.


You need an attorney. There are many issues both positive and negative on this fact pattern.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


You should certainly have an attorney for DWI cases as the ramifications could be serious. You should not be posting facts about any criminal case on the internet as it will serve no useful purpose. I suggest consulting with a local criminal defense attorney and saving any conversation for a face to face meeting. If you are unable to afford counsel, it is possible the court will appoint one to represent you.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You absolutely need an attorney!


Yes, A good attorney should be able to help and may even get the charges dismisssed.

I have been chosen by Superlawyers as one of the top criminal defense lawyers in NYC. I was a First Deputy Bureau Chief in the Brooklyn DA's Office and have over 30 years of criminal law experience. Phone: 212-766-3366;


Of course. You want a criminal defense lawyer who knows how to handle a DWI case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


They can never prove the case retain counsel and have it dismissed! And BTW, next time the police knock on your door, DON'T LET THEM IN! IT'S YOUR RIGHT!


Absolutely get an attorney experienced in DWI cases it will help.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Short of you making a statement or providing a written account of your operation of the vehicle, ,you may have a valid defense. The time delay along with a number of other favorable factors in you case, suggest you contact an experienced DWI attorney

Any and all responses to inquires forward to Attorney Anthony M. Salerno, by this service are offered as informal general discussions and do not represent any attempt to provide legal advice, services or create any attorney / client relationships. Any and all responses are merely an aspect of the advertising and marketing of Avvo and do not constitute the legal opinion of Attorney Anthony M. Salerno and you are advised not to rely upon same for any legal guidance. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a qualified licensed attorney directly and in person.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer