Should I get a private attorney for shoplifting case?

New York, NY |

I am a recent college graduate with no job. I have about $40,000 of debt from student loans already, so I seriously cannot afford a lawyer. I'm sure my financial situation will get better once I find a job, but for now I am broke. I only get a $500 monthly allowance from my parents, but almost all of it is used to pay off my student loans. Should I hire a private attorney for my case anyway? I noticed that many criminal defense lawyers take payment plans, but I don't know how much I have to pay or how frequently. I was arrested for shoplifting less than $200, and until this happened, I had a clean record. I want an ACD, but is that possible with a public defender?

You can work out a payment plan with many criminal defense lawyers. If you do not have sufficient income, then you may qualify for legal aid or a court appointed lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

An ACD is possible with a public defender.

Of course it's possible. I expect you should be able to find a private criminal lawyer in the $1000 - $1500 range depending on their experience.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.