Should I get a personal injury lawyer?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Wheeling, IL

A month ago my husband called our credit union and asked if they could send us our account information to set up direct deposit. We got the letter and set everything up. Money started to go into that account ,but the only problem was the credit union had sent us a letter with some one else's account number. Our money was going into someone else's account. The money in that account was not in there because of the credit union. We needed to use that money to get diapers and food for our two year old. Now my husband and I just worry is this gonna happen again? Has it happened before? We do not know what we can do or what we should do?

Additional information

When we needed to use the money it was not there because of the credit union. We really do not want this to happen anymore to us or others.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 19

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What you need to do is to have a sit down meeting with the credit union to go over this. Banks and credit unions make mistakes. Generally speaking, in my experience when such mistakes are made, especially with the level of documentation that you indicate that you have in your posting - incorrect account info on a letter addressed to you - they should be willing to correct the situation. If for any reason you simply have lost all faith in them, then switch banks/credit unions.

    As to a personal injury claim, I do not see the elements of a viable claim. If you disagree, you are certainly free to obtain a consultation with a personal injury attorney in your jurisdiction.

  2. 16

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A personal injury attorney would not handle that kind of case. The kind of attorney that would normally accept a case like that is a consumer law attorney. Did you have any damages as a result of what happened that have not been reimbursed by the credit union -- such as late charges or bounced check fees? If not, you don't really have a good claim against them, although I definitely understand your concerns. If you did have damages that have not been repaid, you might want to contact a consumer law attorney and have them evaluate your situation. Most will provide a free consultation.

    The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an... more
  3. 13

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An attorney concentrating in personal injury cases, is probably not the best choice for you and your husband. You may want to consult with a lawyer who is familiar with laws relating to credit unions and perhaps banking.
    I commend you and your husband for being diligent about your accounts and making sure this doesn't happen again.
    I strongly suspect that after pointing out the mistake to the appropriate people and with continued monitoring of the account, this will not happen again.
    Good luck with your situation.

  4. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Myers. He gives good adivce and you should follow it. Unless the procedures in the credit union are really bad, the same mistake should not happen again if it has been corrected. Satisfy yourself that things have been put right, and if you are not satisfied, put your money elsewhere.

    I will evaluate your case for free. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 www.jjsassoc.... more
  5. 11

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Personal injury lawyers handle injuries not banking matters. It sounds like you have this mistake cleared up with the bank, and the odds of it happening again are slim.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,347 answers this week

3,865 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,347 answers this week

3,865 attorneys answering