Skip to main content

Should I get a lawyer or try to deal with this on my own.

Appleton, WI |

I was in a car accident in Jan. 2013, the other person didn't yield to light and I t-boned her, light was green. She recieved citation for not yielding to light and also a witness stated the same to police, it is in the police report. Her insurance is saying she is 60% at fault and I'm 40% at fault. I was taken by ambulance to hosptial, other driver not injured. $6,000 in car damages. I have been suffering with post-concussion syndrome ever since, can't work, drive or have a normal life at this point, I am going to therapy still, headaches, neck pain, balance problems, memory, concentration problems. If I do need a lawyer do I need a injury lawyer or brain injury lawyer. Also I have no income coming in since I am not able to do my job, can I get lost wages back.

Attorney Answers 6


Consult a local WI personal injury attorney immediately. Stop talking to the insurance adjusters - they are not your friends (as you have learned) Get professional legal assistance - don't hesitate to call attorneys , most offer free consultations. Do it now!!

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

1 comment



should I look into a personal injury attorney or brain injury attorney,


I am startled by the fact that you have not yet retained representation with injuries of such magnitude and serious issues of liability. Your continuing conversations with the insurance company is like lining up a pony league football team against the Green Bay Packers, or like shooting fish in a barrel from the insurance companies perspective. Choose your analogy. You have a lot to lose and you're sitting on your rights while the insurance company busies its professionals minimizing or destroying your claim with every day that goes by. The best personal injury lawyers in Wisconsin will provide you free consultation without obligation so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by protecting your rights before its too late. Yes, I am being a bit dramatic, but I see people holding the bag, with severe and permanent injuries and woefully inadequate compensation, every day.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You really should talk to attorney in your case. You have serious issues that requires an attorney.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You should call a Wisconsin personal injury lawyer. There have been many advances in diagnosing, understanding, and presenting evidence about post-concussive syndrome. This is a traumatic brain injury.

In terms of whether you need a brain injury lawyer or a personal injury lawyer...I think you will need a very good lawyer who handles personal injury cases, but has experience with brain injury.

There are many challenges that will have to be and can be overcome. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in brain injury cases. Such an attorney can guide you to the right treatment providers and properly value your case. Every concussion is a brain injury, a lot of people will get better over time, but not everyone does, unfortunately.

Personal injury attorneys are not paid unless they get money for you and then they get a portion of what they win for you. Your attorney can deal with the insurance company and prepare your case for settlement or trial while you concentrate on getting well - that should be your number one job now, let an attorney assist you with disability benefits as well.

Stop speaking to the insurance company representatives because they are not being honest with you. I would maintain that the other driver was 100% at fault for going through a red light, but depending on the facts of the case, perhaps you have some comparative fault but I doubt it could be as much as 40%.

Good luck with your recovery.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Due to the complexity and ever-changing nature of the law and to the limitations of this forum, this information may not be adequate for your specific situation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Retain a local personal injury lawyer in the morning.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics