Skip to main content

Should I get a lawyer for obstructing a peace officer.

Fort Collins, CO |

two court dates 5 days apart. 1 is for obstructing a peace officer and the other for a speeding ticket with no drivers license. i was currently on unsupervised provation for nine months i had three or 4 months left when i caught both cases. what legal advices would you recommend

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The state charge Obstructing a peace officer is an m2 with a maximum penalty of a year plus you face a revocation of your unsupervised probation and whatever jail that might carry. I'd highly recommend hiring an attorney to help you. A good attorney will help make sure you know your options and fight to get you the best result possible.
    As one final note, I've seen so many bogus obstruction charges. A lot of cops charge it inappropriately and an attorney can advise you about the facts of your case.

    Best of luck.

    Lubchenco, Kendrick, & Baldridge, L.L.P. 720-644-6413. The information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation, please contact us at 720-644-6413.

  2. Get an attorney to wrap all of this together to maximize your deal. The obstruction easily could be bogus, but you need a practiced hand to properly advise you. The probation should scare you. Whatever can be agreed upon needs to keep it in mind. For example, any plea deal on the rest can bind the court not to use any of it to violate the probation. Good luck

  3. My colleagues are correct. Hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer to help craft a global disposition will serve you well. If you were on probation when the new charges were filed the DA will likely be pushing for a jail sentence.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics