Should I get a lawyer for my car accident?

Asked about 2 years ago - Forsyth, GA

I was in a car accident 6/1/12 where I was rear-ended. I have had neck and back pain since then and I have gone to the doctor and chiropractor a number of times and have gotten two prescriptions. The insurance company for the other driver has sent paperwork for me to complete but I am leery of signing anything and sending it to them.

1. Jeff Tomberg

8

Answered . you should seek the services of a personal injury lawyer to assist you. first its going to be a while before you recover from the accident and dont know how well you will heal. second a lawyer can advise you on what coverages exist to assist you with medical expenses car rental expenses and what you will be required to show if coverage exists to compensate you for injuries.third the insurance company uses the services of professional adjusters that are employed to pay the least they can get away with.

2. Paul Y. Lee

8

Answered . There is no reason for you to hold off consulting with a lawyer. The fact that you were rear-ended indicates that facts may be favorable in regard to liability. It also seems that you sustained more than insignificant injuries, Retain a lawyer and let him or her guide you through the process and enhance your chances for maximum recovery. Most plaintiff's lawyers will take cases on a contingency fee basis. Most will also offer free initial consultation. Interview more than one attorney if you can.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

6

Answered . Study after study shows that the average settlement with a lawyer is incredibly higher than without one. The fact that the insurer has already tried to con you is worrisome.

Hopefully you have not already hurt your legal case by talking to the insurer, as that almost always harms the case. 13 days after an accident is WAY too early to sign anything. What they are trying to do is to tempt you with a small amount befor eyou even have completed treatment and it usually will waive your rights to future damages. Remember, they already have a lawyer. Auto insurance companies are betting that you will take the first small settlement amount, if any, that they offer. They are betting that you will not know your rights or the law, will not know how to negotiate your claim, and will not hire an attorney to protect you throughout the process.

If you don't believe me, see a shocking CNN expose, “Insurance Companies Fight Paying Billions in Claims,” http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper... Anderson Cooper 360 investigated how insurance companies get out of paying accident victims billions of dollars by tricking them into not seeking counsel.

Do not send them anything, stop all conversation with them, and see a lawyer. There is no cost unless you win.

My office offers a free consultation if you have not located counsel (404-768-3509).

4. Henry David Bullard

3

Answered . Your first priority is your health and getting the treatment you need to get better. Also, until you know the extent of your injuries you won't know the value of your claim. You will probably find the insurance company to be very difficult to deal with unless you are willing to take far less than the value of your claim. I wouldn't sign anything and would talk to an attorney once your treatment is close to being over. My partner and I worked for insurance companies a combined 29 years before switching sides and representing injured people like you. We're in Macon, so call us if you'd like to talk more about it. 478-254-3606.

5. Aaron P. Marks

2

Answered . When selecting your attorney you should consider who is best to represent not only your legal claim(s), but if the attorney can help you obtain medical attention. Many of my clients lack health insurance, and therefor have difficulty finding doctors to treat them. I work with an extensive network of medical providers who agree to be paid after the case settles or judgment is obtained. This way my clients receive the needed medical attention but do not pay until their case is over. I've found this to be extremely popular even with clients who have existing health insurance.

6. Randy William Ferguson

3

Answered . If you do not expect any further treatment, you may not need an attorney. Normally you do, but sometimes the case is not worth getting an attorney. If still treating, talk to an attorney.