Should I get a lawyer for my 16 year old driver after a hit and run misdemeanor?

Asked about 2 years ago - Palo Alto, CA

My 16 year old was driving back from school over the speed limit and hit the front yard of a house destroying a small fence. He did not stop and the owner called the police. The office booked him for a hit and run misdemeanor. This is his first accident. Should I get a lawyer? How could this impact his life?
Thanks

1. Benjamin Russell Anderson

8

Answered . Yes, you should call a local criminal defense attorney right away. There are many ways this could impact his life, including license suspension, potential jail time, probation, community service, restitution, etc. There are many things to discuss and you should start consulting lawyers asap.

2. Daniel Joseph Miller

7

Answered . I would say a big "YES" you need proper representation. It could mean the difference between PBJ and possibly a criminal offense for hit and run - in some states. Not sure about CA.

3. Dave Bahr

6

Answered . I agree with my colleague that you should retain counsel immediately for your son. This charge could have repercussions on an otherwise clean record.

4. Tai Christopher Bogan

Pro

3

Answered . Yes yes yes. Hire an attorney for him now. It is especially important to have an attorney during a case involving a juvenile.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, you probably should get him a lawyer and also get him a good lecture on responsibility. Leaving the scene of the collision was definitely the wrong thing to do.Hopefully an attorney can negotiate a plea bargain that will minimize the impact of this indiscretion on his record.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

6. Robert Amadeo Mancini

3

Answered . Yes, he may be able to get him into a diversionary program.