Skip to main content

Should I get a lawyer for a misdemeanor marijuana possession?

Acworth, GA |

I was arrested for an amount of marijuana that would not be picked up on a regular scale (i.e less than .1 of a gram, it was A crumb.) I do not wish to be on probation because I am a full time college student hours away from where the arrest occurred. I am a first offender.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. There is probably a way to get this case dismissed. Call me at 404-985-9772.

  2. I think you should always get a lawyer for any misdemeanor offense. A lawyer improves your chances of getting a good result on your case and can advise you on possible defenses you may have in your case. A lawyer can also help you avoid making bad decisions or walking into guilty or nolo pleas that have adverse long term effects. If you would like to discuss your case, please feel free to call me at 404-217-6978.

  3. If you were arrested, you now have a criminal record. I would recommend that you retain a defense attorney to represent you in spite of he expense and inconvenience. An attorney may be able to get the case dismissed based on the quantity and that you went to jail on the offense. Drug convictions can hamper your future.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  4. 100% unless you want to risk having your first offender probation revoked. Call me at 404-812-4305 if you want to discuss this in detail.

  5. Yes, you should get a lawyer. Unless, of course, you want to lose your opportunities for certain professions, or lose financial aid, or lose your driver's license. Our office can help you avoid all those things. Call us at 770-744-0544.

    Good luck.

    Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

  6. You may qualify for a diversion program, which results in a dismissal of the charges if you successfully complete the program. You will need an attorney to look into this for you. Call me if I can be of assistance.

    Allen R. Knox
    125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics