Should I form my online retail company in CA as an LLC with S Corp tax status or just form an S Corp?

Asked about 1 year ago - Malibu, CA

Should I form my online retail company in CA as an LLC with S Corp tax status by filling IRS form 8832 or should I just form an S Corporation?
If I am an LLC with S Corp tax status, can I still pay myself a small "reasonable" salary and then pay myself the rest through share distributions like an S Corp can?
What can an S corp provide me that an LLC with S corp tax filling status cant?

1. Sagar P. Parikh

3

Answered . Legally, they are generally the same. However, for tax purposes, they have slight differences. Consult with a corporate/business attorney and/or your CPA.

2. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . It's a mildly subjective choice. If your CPA has no preference, I think a Subchapter S is the way to go. Each has equal legal capacity.

3. Nicholas C Ponzini

2

Answered . Its really tough to say generally since there are advantages and disadvantages to each, although you seem to be confusing the entity with the taxation of each. A corporation (whether S-Corp or C) and an LLC are different legal entities that will each protect the individual owners from liability if properly maintained; the corporation has slightly more formalities in this regard while the LLC is more flexible.

There are some tax benefits of the S-Corp over the LLC with regards to self-employment tax savings, but the trade-off is the necessity of setting up payroll (worker's comp insurance as well if necessary) for yourself, which can be a hassle compared with an LLC where you would simply write yourself a check whenever you wish - cashflow and the maintenance of proper reserves aside.

Again these are oversimplifications and a proper analysis of your situation is warranted with a qualified tax attorney or CPA.