Should I flat out appeal my conviction or appeal based on the "harsh and excessive" sentence? State-appointed or private counsel

Asked about 1 year ago - Schenectady, NY

I pled guilty to "offering a false instrument for filing." I had brought a receipt to the DMV for a fine I had paid but saw it had two different dates on it. I asked the DMV to verify it to see which date accurate so it would correctly be reflected on my records. (I had a suspended license charge that I was disputing, claiming that my license WAS valid at the time I was driving). The DMV did so and 30 days later agreed that my fine had been paid timely. The D.A. was furious and insisted that the receipt I'd brought in was "fake". My lawyer told me that if I didn't plead guilty to "offering a false instrument" then I could face up to 14 years if I lost at trial. Naive, I pled guilty and was sentenced to 1-3 years. I have since served my time and filed a motion to appeal. Thoughts?

1. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Excessive appeal viability is diluted by a plea and if you weren't sentenced to the maximum, however you should consult an experienced appeals attorney to pursue the matter.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Did you serve a Notice of Appeal within 30 days of your conviction? If you served your time what are you appealing about? Are you on Post Release Supervision? If you agreed to this sentence I see little to zero chance on winning an appeal.

3. Arkady Bukh

Pro

1

Answered . It doesn' seem likely that you could appeal at this time. The time for appeal is right after the sentencing. Also you pled guilty so I'm not sure what your grounds for appeal would be. I'm sorry to say that I doubt that you can do anything now about it.

4. Tregg Robert Lunn

Pro

1

Answered . Time is noton your side if you want to file an appeal. As stated above, if you agreed to the terms of the plea agreement, your chances of winning an appeal are significantly reduced.