Should I file suit against the hospital for allowing a student to perform a epidural on me and causing csf leak in the process?

Cordova, TN |

I went in to give birth and was asked like 20 times about a epidural.I replied no but I would like IV drugs.So I never got the IV drugs although I asked for them at least five times.I finally said yes to a epidural one time and they where ready in less than one minute. When the person put the needle in my back,I got a headache but didn't know anything was wrong. Next thing I hear is your going to feel a lot pressure and the other lady stuck me.So after this I asked what is wrong? They tell me the first line was no good and the second line got blood back in it because she was too close to the first girl's line.I had the nurse to check me and I was 8cm.So I declined a 3rd cause I thought it would not work but I got it after they said it would.I'm suffering from spinal headaches 21 days later

1. This is a potential medical malpractice case and I highly advise you to consult a skilled lawyer who specializes in these situations. They're very complex and the attorney will need to review all the medical records first

2. There are several possible departures from the standard of care in your scenario, but the mere fact that a medical student performed parts of the procedure is not, in and of itself, malpractice. Consult with an experienced TN medical malpractice attorney ASAP to determine if there is a viable claim.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

3. You have a medical malpractice suit if you suffered permanent damage and if there was negligence that caused the damage. A CSF leak is serious. I would consult with an ENT surgeon and a lawyer in TN. There is only one year to sue for medical malpractice in TN. The lawyer will want to review all of your medical records related to the injury. Good luck.

4. Mr. Smith is correct in that Medical Malpractice cases are complicated and require expertise but I will also tell you to look at your damage. Was it severe enough to make other doctors skilled in that area of practice conclude that it was outside the standard of care for your area and that no reasonable doctor should have so performed his work?