Should I file my will with willonfile.com?

Asked 12 months ago - Scottdale, GA

I have my will and I want to file it with willonfile but I'm not sure yet. I wanted to ask around about what I should do.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

8

1

Answered . You have found a website that is complete garbage. Paying a site that says "pay for an online form and then send us money to store a copy" is silly, especially since you can't probate the copy, and the site will probably not exist years down the road. Properly written wills are NOT done on the internet and really need a lawyer. Lawyers charge far less than you think, and will write a will that works. And once you do write it, there are ways to store it without sending it to some website that will disappear tommorow. Do your family a favor and do this right, with a real lawyer.

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . Please consult with your attorney as to whether he or she thinks this is a good idea. Personally, I would not place any personal document on the internet. Good luck to you.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

9

1

Answered . I would have an attorney draft the document and either safeguard it yourself or have the attorney
    keep it secure.

4. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

5

Answered . Why would you want to? When the time comes to probate the Will, your executor is going to need the original document, not an electronic copy. The best place to store your Will is in your safe deposit box at the bank, along with your life insurance policy, health insurance, policy, home owners policy, auto policy, etc. I don't recommend that you leave the original with a lawyer. My experience is that lawyers can die and law firms dissolve and knowing where to go to retrieve the Will can be a problem. If you put it in the safe deposit box and tell your executor(s) where it is, it will be found. You can if you so desire even put their name on the box as being authorized to enter to retrieve your Will and deliver it to the court in the event of your death.