Should I file my will with willonfile.com?

Scottdale, GA |

I have my will and I want to file it with willonfile but I'm not sure yet. I wanted to ask around about what I should do.

Please consult with your attorney as to whether he or she thinks this is a good idea. Personally, I would not place any personal document on the internet. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

2. You have found a website that is complete garbage. Paying a site that says "pay for an online form and then send us money to store a copy" is silly, especially since you can't probate the copy, and the site will probably not exist years down the road. Properly written wills are NOT done on the internet and really need a lawyer. Lawyers charge far less than you think, and will write a will that works. And once you do write it, there are ways to store it without sending it to some website that will disappear tommorow. Do your family a favor and do this right, with a real lawyer.

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 www.glenashman.com . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. I would have an attorney draft the document and either safeguard it yourself or have the attorney
    keep it secure.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

4. Why would you want to? When the time comes to probate the Will, your executor is going to need the original document, not an electronic copy. The best place to store your Will is in your safe deposit box at the bank, along with your life insurance policy, health insurance, policy, home owners policy, auto policy, etc. I don't recommend that you leave the original with a lawyer. My experience is that lawyers can die and law firms dissolve and knowing where to go to retrieve the Will can be a problem. If you put it in the safe deposit box and tell your executor(s) where it is, it will be found. You can if you so desire even put their name on the box as being authorized to enter to retrieve your Will and deliver it to the court in the event of your death.

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

Wills topics