Should I file my will with willonfile.com?

Scottdale, GA |

I have my will and I want to file it with willonfile but I'm not sure yet. I wanted to ask around about what I should do.

Please consult with your attorney as to whether he or she thinks this is a good idea. Personally, I would not place any personal document on the internet. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Thank you for your advice! This was a very balanced answer. They said they don't store anything online, just accept files. You can send files, but they don't store them online does that make a difference? If I didn't transfer locations every couple years it wouldn't really matter, but my family is full of people who travel most of the year. Nobody knows where anybody puts anything. I wanted to prefile it with the probate courts, but I'm afraid by the time somebody needs it, they are not going to know which court I filed in or which lawyer has my stuff is with and I own a lot of real estate, business assets and stocks that I don't want certain people in my family to get their greedy hands on and I want others who are nice, good relatives to have what I want for them. I'm afraid the bullies in my family will alter the paperwork or pilfer through what I have and nobody will have a piece of paper from me to either get the stuff back or stop them before they try it. My kids are in jobs that make them travel a lot too. There has to be a simple filing solution that is secure. What do lawyers do with their wills?

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Thanks for the kind note. Here's what I do: I keep my own estate planning documents in my firm's vault, and I offer this service to my clients. Then I provide my clients with five business cards and tell them to send the cards to their designated fiduciaries with the note: "if something happens to me, CALL THIS GUY!". In 23 years of practice, this has worked quite nicely. Thus, if you have counsel in Georgia, ask him/her to hold your estate planning documents in his/her firm's vault and provide you with business cards to send out. Have a good day.

You have found a website that is complete garbage. Paying a site that says "pay for an online form and then send us money to store a copy" is silly, especially since you can't probate the copy, and the site will probably not exist years down the road. Properly written wills are NOT done on the internet and really need a lawyer. Lawyers charge far less than you think, and will write a will that works. And once you do write it, there are ways to store it without sending it to some website that will disappear tommorow. Do your family a favor and do this right, with a real lawyer.

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 www.glenashman.com . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Wow. Thank you! I had a lawyer draft my will, so that part is done. I have 9 siblings and we move with our jobs so nobody stays in one place. We had a terrible time finding my mothers will and we fought so bad about what to do after her heart attack. I thought this might be a good idea. They said they don't store them online, they accept the files online. They said they don't make wills or have online wills, those were ads for a separate company that they have nothing to do with legalzoom. Does that make a difference?

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Simply store the will at the probate court or in a bank safety deposit box and make sure the heirs know you did that.

I would have an attorney draft the document and either safeguard it yourself or have the attorney
keep it secure.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Thank you so much for this advice. This was a very professional answer.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

My pleasure-you can mark these answers as helpful or best answer. Thanks

Why would you want to? When the time comes to probate the Will, your executor is going to need the original document, not an electronic copy. The best place to store your Will is in your safe deposit box at the bank, along with your life insurance policy, health insurance, policy, home owners policy, auto policy, etc. I don't recommend that you leave the original with a lawyer. My experience is that lawyers can die and law firms dissolve and knowing where to go to retrieve the Will can be a problem. If you put it in the safe deposit box and tell your executor(s) where it is, it will be found. You can if you so desire even put their name on the box as being authorized to enter to retrieve your Will and deliver it to the court in the event of your death.

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

I ended up filing my will with them because my husband was getting deployed and I was by myself and I just wanted to put somewhere. It turns out that when I sent my family the cards they send you, my grandmother filed her will with them and she passed away a month ago. Nobody knew she filed her will with them and nobody knew where her will was, but I saw the magnet on the fridge and the tag on her keys that said willonfile and we contacted them, got the insurance information, bank information and just everything right out of the will. I can't say enough about how glad I am that I filed with them because if I didn't my grandmother probably wouldn't have and we would have been lost on everything. So, I guess the advice was good about being cautious, but it was good for me and how things turned out for my family. After that experience I would definitely share what I went through and I had a good experience so it came in handy for me and it was worth the money in the end.

Oh and @ Kelly, I tried to get a safe deposit box but I have armedforcesbank, usaa and a local Bank of America account. Bank of America doesn't even build their banks with safe deposit boxes anymore and well the other banks are kind of virtual banks so I couldn't get one with them either. Hey sorry for the typos. Everybody should have a willonfile account because it was really the only thing that worked for me.

Wills and estates topics