Should I file K-1 Visa or K-3 Visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Have been with my boyfriend for 8 years, we have 4 children together. Currently living in Mexico and want to know which Visa would be better for us to file. Our children and I are all U.S. Citizens, except for my boyfriend.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

6

Answered . If you are all going to wait in Mexico until the visa is issued it does not matter. Bear in mind though that the K1 is for a true unmarried fiancé, whereas a K3 is for married couples. So, if you marry, you will not file the K1

3. J Charles Ferrari

6

Answered . Whether a K-1 or a K-3 need to be filed depends on whether you are still unmarried or not.

4. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

5

Answered . As unmarried you file the fiance visa - K1. You may want to consider going to Mexico and getting married then filing an I-130 and immigrant visa. There are benefits to going this route: less expensive and faster.

5. Gary David Goodin

2

Answered . If you are unmarried and you both have no impediment to entering into a marriage then I would suggest that you get married in Mexico and file an I-130 petition for him as this will save you thousands of dollars in fees and other costs.

I also suggest that you consult an immigration attorney about filing this petition as you seem to be resident in Mexico and not the United States.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now