Skip to main content

Should i file for the Dream Act or fix papers thru my husband?

Houston, TX |

I came to this country when i was little and dont remmember much, i want to go to college and have a decent job.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Dream act is not a permanent resident status, if you married to the U.S. citizen, you may obtain a permanent residence.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

  2. There is no Dream Act. if you are referring to DACA, it does not lead to a green card.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. If your husband is a USC and you don't have any other grounds of inadmissibility, it may be better to fix your papers through him taking advantage of any waivers,if applicable, as you may get a green card though the process the only thing you gain from the Deferred Action is lawful presence, no legal status/ green card. You should have your entire Immigration history reviewed by a competent attorney. Answer provided is general in nature and based on the limited facts presented, it should not be construed as legal counsel and does not establish an attorney/client relationship with Olubusayo Fasidi. If you need more information based on response please call 713-954-4873, to schedule a comprehensive case review.

  4. More information is needed to know whether you qualify for DACA.
    As an immediate relative of your husband - a spouse - he may sponsor you. However, if you did not enter the USA legally - with inspection - you will need a waiver. You should qualify for the provisional waiver. To qualify for a waiver you must meet the hardship requirements. The government has discretion in determining hardship.
    It might be a good idea for you to get DACA and then adjust through your husband.
    I strongly suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who will gather more facts and information from you before deciding what process is in your best interest.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics