Should I file for bankruptcy?

Spring, TX |

I have a ton of credit card debt and some medical bills that I have no available income to pay off at this time.
What would be the best solution to satisfy my debts and my creditors?

Thanks for your question. Bankruptcy is often a viable option to discharge credit card debt and medical bills. You should speak with a bankruptcy attorney in your area to find out if your situation warrants bankruptcy. An attorney can advise you on which property you may keep in a bankruptcy and when the best time for you to file would be. I hope that helps.

There is never a proper substitute for consultation with an attorney licensed in your area, when you are facing a legal problem. Please understand my answer to your question may be influenced by the laws of my state-which could differ from the laws of your state. No attorney-client relationship has been formed by my answering your question on Avvo.

The question of should you file is a judgment call and not legal advice. A lawyer can only counsel you on your options and let you decide. It does sound like your situation is exactly the reason we have bankruptcy. You should find an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and review your situation with them.

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.

I agree with Mr. Mumme and Mr. Boston. Only a consultation with a BK attorney would give you all the information you need to make a decision. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Bankruptcy may be a great choice for you, or there could also be other options that might work as well. The best thing to do is find an experienced bankruptcy attorney near you and consult with him or her face to face. There is no substitute for a personal evaluation.

I am licensed only in Texas. Offering information of a general nature in response to a question is not intended to be legal advice in your state.

Depends on the rest of your situation.
You are close enough to my office, just off Katy Freeway in West Houston, that a short trip and a free consultation would be a great option. Then everything is out on the table, we discuss options, then options after options.
With information about your specific situation, you can make the best decision.
Seriously. Free first visit.

Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Emailing me is an option for a few more detailed questions. But, at any rate, good luck to you.

Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Almost forgot, if the bills are really old, DO NOT even think about talking to the creditors yourself. You could end up owing the bills again, if you don't have to pay them any more, because too much time has passed.

Texas has a four year statute of limitations on breach of contract. Bankruptcy may be your best option depending on your income an expense.

Bankruptcy sounds like a good solution for you. Credit card debt and medical bills are the most common unsecured debts that are discharged in Bankruptcy.

My comments are not legal advice and are for informational purposes only.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt