Should I file affidavits and/or family photos to support the I-130 form if we have the other official documents? Is it overkill?

Asked about 1 year ago - Walla Walla, WA

we have marriage certificate, our child's birth certificate, documents of financial co-mingling, lease showing joint tenancy, etc. I'm a US citizen and my wife is Canadian.

1. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . You are required to file photocopies of the vital statistic-type documents such as birth and marriage certificates with the application. If you wife is already in the U.S. and applying for adjustment of status, then be prepared with copies of the co-mingling of funds, etc. to present to the officer at the time of the interview. At that time, you can simply bring the original photo album to show them. If she is not already in the U.S. and is consular processing for the visa, then, yes, include color photocopies of photos, especially with other family members, and write the date and who's in them on the paper. Two or three letters is always good.

2. Ji Min Kim

Pro

4

1

Answered . Do your best to prove bona fide marriage. I think there is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to proving good faith marriage. You definitely must file marriage certificate and child's birth certificate.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Nothing is an overkill when it comes to USCIS.It is better to overkill than underkill. With that said, you do not want to submit potentially damaging information either. DO see an immigration attorney to review your file before you submit anything.

4. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . The form instructions tell you what is required.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now