Should I file a lawsuit for defamation of character?

Asked over 1 year ago - Springfield, MA

I received email advertising a website. I asked to be removed from their list but kept getting email from different addresses for the same site. I finally looked at the website and it appeared to be an escort website with possible child prostitution. I reported this to the FBI tipline and sent another email asking to be removed from future email. The person who responded threatened to contact my parents and employer. He did call my parents twice in the middle of the night and told them I was downloading child pornography (completely untrue). I believe he has contacted other family members by phone or email and possibly my employer because he wrote emails showing he had such information.

1. Herbert Warren Cooper IV

Pro

3

Answered . You should definitely report it to the police. They may want some of the routing information from your emails, though it may all be faked or sent via a circuitous route. A civil action probably won't help you that much, unless they are located in Massachusetts. Good luck!

2. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . You should report it to the police. You may also have a civil action.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

3. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

1

Answered . Hi,

Surely this would be at least an harassment claim. But if this person is overseas somewhere good luck finding them. So a lot depends on where they are and whether you could get them into court.

You should report it to the police of course as there sounds like certain illegal acts here in general. In some states this degree of SPAM is a felony all on its own without even considering the possibly illegal content.

All the best,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . In my experience, the police will be no help unless you have threatened with physical harm.

Finding the person to go after on the Internet is never easy, and often leads you offshore where prosecuting them is impossible.

Further, suing someone is an expensive propisition, and even if you win, collecting on the law suit is problematic.

My best advice is to show this post (especially to your employer) to those people you feel have heard about your activities. They will then know you are the victim and not some pediphile.

Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    (330) 666-5026
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    www.netlaws.us