Should I file a claim against my former employer with the Department of Labor?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Long story short:

Former employer discharged me in end of March when LA office closed (company is based in NY but I was working in LA). I'm owed approximately $10K in unpaid commissions (wages) that were earned 4-6 months ago. Have been requesting payment for over a month to no avail. According to my research, they've already violated NY & CA labor codes...

I was always taxed as a NY employee, despite living in LA. While I was previously a NY resident, the NY Dept of Labor told me this case is CA jurisdiction. Can anyone verify?

Should I pursue the matter with the California Dept of Labor? Is there a downside to that approach vs. hiring a private attorney? My primary concern, of course, is $$$. However, willing to listen to all suggestions. Thanks!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you worked in California, the employer is subject to California labor laws as well as California tax reporting requirements. Given the amount of money owed, your best bet would be to file a complaint with the California Labor Commissioner, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. It costs nothing to file and would probably be the quickest method of getting a resolution. Just make sure you have all your documentation together to prove the commission contract and the amount that is owed to you.

    They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion... more
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Filing a claim with the CA Labor Commissioner's office is only an option. While free, it is a governmental agency - and thus, not the best option. IF you retain counsel to assist you in the Labor Commissioner hearing and/or settlement conference (the Labor Comm. office will want you to settle for less than is owed) you have to pay your attorney. However, if you have an attorney represent you by sending a demand letter to the company and trying to settle, if the company has willfully withheld wages/commissions, your former employer pays your attorney. It is best to have representation of counsel and if you have a good case, an employment law attorney will take your case at no cost to you. 949-481-6909.

  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It strikes me that CA definitely has jurisdiction. Since you were discharged, you were owed all outstanding wages (commissions, vacation pay, and everything else) the day you were terminated. You may also be entitled to statutory penalties under Labor Code 203, and a recovery of attorney's fees under Labor Code 218.5.

    You may wish to consider hiring a lawyer on a "limited representation basis" to help you when the going gets tough in your enforcement action. Some lawyers also may be willing to take the case on a contingency. The above commentary should convince you that a lawyer can add value to your case.

  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should definitely hire an attorney. The Labor Commissioner in California is very serious about employers abusing former employees in this way and they will penalize him for doing same. Victoria Clemans, Esq. (310) 803-9111.

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Employee protection laws

Employee protection laws, such as OSHA's workplace safety regulations, FLSA's labor laws, and FMLA's unpaid leave regulations, are to ensure employee safety.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,779 answers this week

3,720 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,779 answers this week

3,720 attorneys answering