Should I fight my speeding ticket or just keep postponing the court date?

Asked 10 months ago - West Covina, CA

I got a speeding ticket on March 29 around 11pm. The ticket indicates no radar/laser but does list 87 as my approximate speed. It was on a freeway in Chino Hills where the speed limit is 64. The violation says "CVC 72349(a) over 65 mph". My court date is in June and I've heard if I keep postponing it, there's a chance the officer won't show up or he will forget the details of my case. Is this my best bet? Or is there a better way to dismiss my ticket?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I think you are asking about playing games. Why not get to the merits unless you simply were speeding. If you were indeed speeding, why not just pay the ticket and move on in life. If you believe he officer was incorrect, set the matter for trial, hire an attorney such as Andrew Roberts and have him cross-examine the officer as to how he estimated such a speed. You may win.

  2. Victor Murray Hwang

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is always that chance but delaying a ticket is nothing new and the judge may not let you keep playing games with the court. If you really want to fight it, consider hiring a lawyer who specializes in these matters.

  3. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . First off you were charged with 22349 VC. Get an attorney to deal with this. Postponing it will not change anything.

  4. Reve Gerardo Bautista

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You were charged with CVC 22349(a), not 72349(a). It is best to hire an attorney that will set your case for trial. An experienced attorney can cross examine the officer about his or her training, experience and memory of the date of the incident. The result of the trial could be (1) you win and the case gets dismissed; (2) the officer does not appear, then you win and the case gets dismissed or (3) the judge or commissioner believes the cop and you lose (but if you are eligible for traffic court, then sign up for traffic court after your trial). If you are eligible for traffic court, have the attorney set the case for trial and even if you lose, you can still sign up for traffic court. Do not try to cross examine the cop yourself. Cops are generally expert witnesses and know how to testify.

Related Topics

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device was use to determine the speed of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,916 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,916 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering