Should I fight my speeding ticket or just keep postponing the court date?

Asked 5 months ago - West Covina, CA

I got a speeding ticket on March 29 around 11pm. The ticket indicates no radar/laser but does list 87 as my approximate speed. It was on a freeway in Chino Hills where the speed limit is 64. The violation says "CVC 72349(a) over 65 mph". My court date is in June and I've heard if I keep postponing it, there's a chance the officer won't show up or he will forget the details of my case. Is this my best bet? Or is there a better way to dismiss my ticket?

1. Greg Thomas Hill

1

Answered . I think you are asking about playing games. Why not get to the merits unless you simply were speeding. If you were indeed speeding, why not just pay the ticket and move on in life. If you believe he officer was incorrect, set the matter for trial, hire an attorney such as Andrew Roberts and have him cross-examine the officer as to how he estimated such a speed. You may win.

2. Victor Murray Hwang

1

Answered . There is always that chance but delaying a ticket is nothing new and the judge may not let you keep playing games with the court. If you really want to fight it, consider hiring a lawyer who specializes in these matters.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

Answered . First off you were charged with 22349 VC. Get an attorney to deal with this. Postponing it will not change anything.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  4. Reve Gerardo Bautista

Answered . You were charged with CVC 22349(a), not 72349(a). It is best to hire an attorney that will set your case for trial. An experienced attorney can cross examine the officer about his or her training, experience and memory of the date of the incident. The result of the trial could be (1) you win and the case gets dismissed; (2) the officer does not appear, then you win and the case gets dismissed or (3) the judge or commissioner believes the cop and you lose (but if you are eligible for traffic court, then sign up for traffic court after your trial). If you are eligible for traffic court, have the attorney set the case for trial and even if you lose, you can still sign up for traffic court. Do not try to cross examine the cop yourself. Cops are generally expert witnesses and know how to testify.