Should I fight a 14 mph ticket in Cobb County court? Also will my insurance be affected?

Marietta, GA |

The officer who stopped me set my ticket at 59 in a 45. In the comments he wrote that I was actually doing 64 mph. He told me that my insurance would not be affected, but I'm not sure. Should I get an attorney and go to court, or should I just pay the fine? And also will my insurance be affected?

I would just pay the ticket. The officer aready did the work for you by reducing the speed to 14 mph over the limit. That is all a lawyer is going to ask for anyway. Assuming you have a Georgia Drivers License, and it is a regular license and not a commercial drivers license, 59 in a 45 will not go on your driving history. If it doesn't go on your driving history your insurance company won't find out and raise your rates.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

2. AS long as you are not a CDL, pay the ticket, it will not be reported.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

3. I defer to my colleague in GA.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Traffic tickets topics