Should I expect an offer of settlement after the nuisance of a car accident?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Collins, CO

I am 20 months out from a rear-end accident. My small car was severely damaged and was in the body shop for 8 weeks (other drivers carrier paid - $11k - for repairs). My medical payments were paid by my carrier ($4k) including multiple chiropractic trips and significant pain to my back, shoulders, hands and arms. Can I expect a nuisance settlement beyond the repair & medical expenses that have been paid?

Attorney answers (7)

  1. 19

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a claim for your injuries, including the medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. There is a 3 year statute of limitations within which a lawsuit must be filed if no settlement is reached.
    You should consult with a personal injury attorney concerning representation. Most lawyers will take a case on a contingent fee basis where the lawyer gets paid a percentage of the recovery the lawyer obtains for you.

    John H. Barrett 728 Pearl St. Boulder Co. 80302 303-443-6924
  2. 16

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were injured through someone else's negligence, you have a right to recover those damages and be made whole. This would include your medical expenses, pain and suffering and other areas that an attorney can help you with.

    On a simple case without long-term injury and medical treatment it is possible to settle the case yourself if you have the time to research what is recoverable. Otherwise, you should contact an attorney.

    Nothing in the answer provided should be considered legal advice because all cases and facts are different and... more
  3. 17

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Without a personal injury lawyer, you will either get #1. no money or #2. a nuisance settlement. The secret to maximizing your recovery is to retain a personal injury lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755
  4. 16

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not licensed in your state. I am licensed in CA.

    You should contact a personal injury attorney in your area and learn about your rights. You will want to find out about the statute of limitations to make sure you can preserve your right to file suit against the responsible party if necessary.

    The damage to your car sounds significant and you mention that you suffered injury. You should seriously consider consulting a personal injury attorney to learn what steps you can take to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. You shouldn't have difficulty finding an attorney that offers a free consultation.

    Best of luck in this matter.

    No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on The information... more
  5. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering of going through a motor vehicle accident, one of the leading causes of death. Ask your attorney whether policy limits are an issue in your case, 14K is pretty close for most policies.

    -Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.... more
  6. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should contact a competent Colorado trial attorney to discuss your potential claim. In my experience, the quality of offers and the flow of information between unrepresented people and the insurance companies improves remarkably whan a lawyer enters the equation. talk to a good lawyer about your case.

  7. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues with respect to your situation. If you do not currently have an attorney representing you, I would strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced local attorney to review the details of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,549 answers this week

3,925 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,549 answers this week

3,925 attorneys answering