Should I defend a hearing before district magistrate>

Dallas, PA |

I have joined a debt relief company. One of the companies I owe money has filed a civil complaint against me with the district magistrate. I fully acknowledge I owe the money they claim I owe. Can it benefit me in any way to defend myself at the hearing? I have every intention of paying off this debt once the debt relief company has negotiated the amount owed.

Debt relief companies tend to be shady at best. If you do not defend yourself they will get a default judgment. You are being sued. Find a consumer lwyer to represent you in your aareaa right away.

I practice in Luzerne County. My experience is that if you defend, the creditor's counsel will attend the hearing. At that time, you can discuss a settlement with him or her. It's much better to have this discussion face-to-face. Alternatively, you could call the attorney in advance and inform him or her that you do not dispute the debt and would like to get on a payment plan. With this said, if you have other debts, bankruptcy may be an alternative option. You can check out my home page below as well as my Blog that contains information that may be useful to you.