Should I contest this Disorderly Conduct Citation?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dekalb, IL

I was invited to a party, and after the party got too loud the cops arrived. My friend was standing in front of the door and did not open it. After everyone in the party started to run out through the back door, a police officer went through the back door and to the front door to open it from the inside. when the officer opened the front door from the inside, I told her that if she did not get permission from the tenant or acquired a warrant, she wasnt allowed to enter the home. The two officers that was let in by the other officer, asked for my friends and I IDs and only gave me, not my friend, a citation saying that I obstructed the officer from gaining entry to the home. I feel this is false because, it was not my home nor my party, I have no right to open the door, only the tenant.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I feel you have a defense to this charge. I agree you should not discuss further on this site. Contact an attorney to flesh out the rest if this case. Sounds like the officer was just pissed. Would love to see the reason they try to give to justify the entry into the residence.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you should contest this citation.

  3. Answered . You were wrong for obstructing the officer. You had no right to prevent entry by the police and had no authority to tell the officer she could not come in. You did, in fact, obstruct the officer. Say no more in this public forum or anywhere else online. Do not discuss this with any of your friends or family, especially those who were at the party. Hire an attorney to help you minimize the damage. Sometimes what you see on TV does not actually work that way in real life.

Related Topics

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now