Skip to main content

Should I contact the police or hire a lawyer?

Oceanside, CA |

If people came to my house and engaged in conversation with me even though I didn't wish to and then took photos of my property outside for unknown reasons, can I sue them for trespassing, harassment and invasion of privacy? If it happens again, is it considered as stalking and what can I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    One course of action would be to hire an attorney to write them a formal letter asking that they cease and desist. These are relatively easy to draft, and serve the purpose of putting them on notice that they need to leave you alone. This sets the case up in case they continue these actions.

  2. Your limited facts do not reveal any legal damages. Conversations you don't want are simple: don't speak. Taking photos of a residence from the street is normally permitted. Since you don't indicate the nature of the encounter, one cannot analyse this any further.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  3. What would you claim are your damages?

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics